Schizophrenia is a severe brain disorder in which people believe in different, imaginary, and abnormal perceptions. In this condition, people cannot differentiate between what is reality and what they are imagining.
Delusions (false beliefs), hallucinations (observing or hearing things that are not there), strange physical behavior, and disorganized thought and speech are typical symptoms of schizophrenia. Schizophrenia patients frequently experience paranoid thoughts or hear voice hallucinations. For instance, they can think that someone is about to harm them or trying to control their thoughts. These psychotic episodes are frequently confusing, perplexing, and isolating.
Schizophrenia can be responsible for significant disturbance in a person’s life. It becomes challenging for the person to go to work or school, maintain a routine, interact with others, complete daily chores, or take care of themself.
However, with constitutional homeopathic medicine, therapy, and social support people with schizophrenia can manage their condition and enjoy happy lives.
Role of homeopathic medicines in schizophrenia
Homeopathic medicines are excellent in treating many psychological disorders, including schizophrenia. Homeopathic remedies have a deeper action and treat the underlying cause. Different types of schizophrenia symptoms, like delusions, and hallucinations, can be treated with these natural homeopathic medications. Using these medications has shown a gradual decrease in the severity of symptoms. Homeopathic medications for schizophrenia do not lead to addiction and can be stopped once the person recovers.
Top five homeopathic medications for schizophrenia
Hyoscyamus niger (Hyos.)
Common name: Henbane
Schizophrenia can be treated effectively with Hyoscyamus niger. It is suited for the delusion of being poisoned. Due to this delusion, they avoid food or drinks offered by others. They often see imaginary people.
Hyoscyamus niger is indicated in people who are suspicious about their family members. They feel their family is keeping a watch over them. Along with delusions, an impulse to strike and bite others also increases.
Laughing loudly at everything is the keynote symptom of Hyoscyamus. The person has hurried talking, muttering, and excessive loquacity. These people often make strange and funny gestures like clown dancing.
Lachesis mutus (Lach.)
Common name: Bushmaster or Surucucu
Lachesis mutus is the best homeopathic medicine for schizophrenia. This is a top remedy for the delusion of being poisoned, harmed, or followed by enemies. The person becomes highly suspicious of everything.
Another indication of Lachesis is the delusion of being controlled by some superhuman power. Sometimes people may feel that there are robbers in the house. In case of delusion that she is dead, and others are preparing for her funeral, Lachesis works best. This remedy works wonders in cases of schizophrenia where the person has an aversion to work, isolates herself, and has a marked loquacity.
Lachesis helps in cases of schizophrenia with disorganized speech, continuous talking, jumping from one subject to another unrelated subject, and repetition of the exact words again and again.
Cannabis indica (Cann-i.)
Common name: Hashish
Cannabis indica is a good effective homeopathic remedy for schizophrenia with disorganized and incoherent speech. These people often tend to stammer. They start to speak but forget words while talking and cannot complete a sentence.
Cannabis is prescribed for those who cannot focus on one subject. Several ideas crowd their brains, and they get absorbed in thought. These people are seen laughing uncontrollably at every word spoken to them, even if it’s a serious matter.
Common name: Thorn apple
Schizophrenia with delusions of imaginary spirits can be treated with Stramonium. This medicine works well in cases of schizophrenia where the person believes that he is under the influence of spirits. He often talks with these spirits. Some people feel that they can communicate with God or with imaginary people.
Another delusion characteristic of this remedy is feeling the presence of multiple people in the room, but none are there in reality. He feels all these people are coming out of all corners of the room. These people talk, scold him, and tell him he is about to die soon. He then begins to give directions for his funeral.
Stramonium effectively treats schizophrenia delusions with constant praying and reciting religious songs.
Anacardium orientale (Anac.)
Common name: Marking nut
Anacardium orientale is a very good homeopathic medicine for auditory hallucinations, where the person hears voices. These are mostly the voices of dead people or spirits. The spirits call them by their name, command them to follow, and tell them that they are about to die soon.
Anacardium is suited for people who say that delusional voices speak in abusive language. It cures schizophrenia with a delusion of mind and body being separated. Also, there can be a delusion of having two wills.
A keynote symptom of Anacardium is the delusion of an angel over one shoulder commanding one to do good things and a devil sitting on another shoulder asking to commit bad things. In Anacardium, there is a unique delusion where the person feels everything is a dream and nothing is real.
Anacardium is suited for people who feel extremely sad, absent-minded, indifferent, forgetful, and lack interest in everything. These people tend to swear, curse, and talk in phrases that make no sense.
Causes of schizophrenia
The following factors play a significant role:
- Imbalances in the chemical signal that your brain uses to communicate
- Issues with the brain’s development before birth
- Loss of connections between various brain regions
Symptoms of schizophrenia
Schizophrenia symptoms differ from person to person and might change over time. While some people have one psychotic episode ever, others have several episodes in their lifetime. Many people with schizophrenia are unaware that what they are experiencing is schizophrenia symptoms. However, those around them might notice this change. Here are five primary symptoms of schizophrenia.
Delusions are false beliefs that the person continues to believe even if there are several facts and evidence put forth. For instance, a belief that someone else controls their thoughts, words, or actions.
In this, the person believes that he can see, hear, smell, touch, or taste nonexistent objects, such as hearing voices.
- Incoherent and disorganized speech
This happens because they need help keeping their mind focused and their thoughts in order while speaking. This may appear like the person is having difficulty talking, but in reality, his thoughts are confusing.
- Unusual movements
The person behaves differently than those around him would expect. For instance, the person might move very little or turn around a lot for no apparent reason.
- Negative symptoms
These include a decrease or loss in the capacity to perform routine tasks. Like, quit making facial expressions or speaking in a voice that lacks feeling. Lack of motivation is another negative sign, particularly when the person doesn’t want to interact with others or do things he usually loves to do.
Treatment for schizophrenia
Schizophrenia patients need lifelong treatment. The sooner the treatment begins, the greater the chances are for recovery. However, people usually delay seeking treatment due to denial of having a severe illness, shame about being labeled with mental illness, or not realizing they are exhibiting symptoms of schizophrenia.
Antipsychotic drugs help control schizophrenia symptoms, making them less troublesome. Normally, a psychiatrist needs to try different drugs in different dosages before finding the most effective medicine. It may take several weeks before symptoms start to get better.
- Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)
ECT may be an alternative for those who do not respond to medicines. This brain stimulation method reduces the symptoms of schizophrenia by sending tiny electric currents across the brain.
However, during a severe episode, hospitalization may be needed to guarantee a person’s safety, proper nourishment, enough sleep, and other variables.
Diet and lifestyle change for schizophrenia
Diet plays an important role in schizophrenia. Regular, wholesome meals can help prevent psychosis and other symptoms of schizophrenia brought on by variations in blood sugar levels. In addition, reduce your intake of sugar and refined carbohydrates, which can cause a sudden slump in mood and energy.
Some lifestyle modifications that can help with symptoms are:
- Sleeping for a minimum of eight hours or more.
- Avoiding smoking, alcohol, and drugs.
- Practicing stress-lowering techniques like meditation, deep breathing, etc.
- Regularly exercising can help lower symptoms of schizophrenia.
Schizophrenia is a mental disorder that can make life miserable for patients and their families. However, the proper treatment can help you live a healthy life.
Homeopathy and therapy can help schizophrenic patients have healthy relationships, maintain their careers, and be valuable members of their society.
- Schizophrenia [Internet]. National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH). [cited 2023 Aug 30]. Available from: https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/schizophrenia
- Picchioni MM, Murray RM. Schizophrenia. BMJ [Internet]. 2007 [cited 2023 Aug 30];335(7610):91–5. Available from:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1914490/
- Kalinowska S, Trze?niowska-Druka?a B, K?oda K, Safranow K, Misiak B, Cyran A, et al. The association between lifestyle choices and schizophrenia symptoms. J Clin Med [Internet]. 2021 [cited 2023 Aug 30];10(1):165. Available from:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7796511/
- Patel KR, Cherian J, Gohil K, Atkinson D. Schizophrenia: Overview and treatment options. Pharmacy and Therapeutics. 2014;39(9):638. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4159061/
- Ali SA, Mathur N, Malhotra AK, Braga RJ. Electroconvulsive therapy and schizophrenia: A systematic review. Complex Psychiatry [Internet]. 2019 [cited 2023 Aug 22];5(2):75–83. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1159/000497376
- Oberai P, Gopinadhan S, Sharma A, Nayak C, Gautam K. Homoeopathic management of Schizophrenia: A prospective, non-comparative, open-label observational study. Ind J Res Homeopat [Internet]. 2016;10(2):108. Available from: https://nhrimh.ac.in/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/19pub.pdf
- Alizadeh A, Moshiri M, Alizadeh J, Balali-Mood M. Black henbane and its toxicity – a descriptive review. Avicenna Journal of Phytomedicine. 2014;4(5):297.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25386392
- Gupta VK, Anju S. Schizophrenia and homoeopathy: A literature review [Internet]. Ijcrt.org. [cited 2023 Aug 22]. Available from: https://ijcrt.org/papers/IJCRT2007498.pdf
- Janagam DJ, Mohan DND. A case report of paranoid schizophrenia treated with homoeopathy in psychiatry ward. Int J Homoeopathic Sci [Internet]. 2021;5(2):170–3. Available from: https://www.homoeopathicjournal.com/articles/380/5-1-108-263.pd