According to statistics from a 2017 study, 197·3 million Indians are struggling with mental disorders. 44·9 million among them are dealing with anxiety disorders. These numbers tell the seriousness of this mental illness.
Anxiety is a mental state characterized by nervousness, apprehension, fear, and worry. It is a natural response to stress that most of us have experienced at some point in our lives. Feeling anxious on certain occasions is normal. For instance, getting anxious before or during stressful events like examinations or interviews or during a performance. The anxiety is momentary and temporary in these situations.
However, it can become problematic when the person’s response is intense and disproportionate to what one would normally expect. In such situations, it can be accompanied by physical symptoms like increased heart rate, trembling of extremities, and sweating.
When such episodes of extreme anxiety occur frequently, it interferes with your daily activities. Such episodes adversely impact your personal, social, and professional life.
Role of homeopathy in anxiety
Homeopathic medicines are known to treat the underlying causes of anxiety. When prescribed on a constitutional basis, these medicines reduce your emotional oversensitivity. Homeopathic remedies reduce anxiety by regulating the happy hormone known as serotonin. Another benefit of homeopathic medicines is you don’t get dependent on these medicines. Once your condition is treated, you can live a medicine-free life.
Top five homeopathic medications for anxiety
Aconitum napellus (Acon.)
Common name: Monkshood
Aconite is one of the most commonly used homeopathic remedies for anxiety with fear, panic, and restlessness. Due to restlessness, they move around and often change sitting positions.
Aconite is indicated in anxiety with cold sweat and hot red or pale face.
This remedy works well in sleeplessness due to anxiety. Aconite is one of the homeopathic remedies for panic attacks with intense anxiety, palpitations, and extreme fear of death. Other indications of this remedy include numbness, tingling in fingers or limbs, and fainting.
Arsenic album (Ars. alb.)
Common name: Arsenious acid
Anxiety with chest constriction is treated with the homeopathic medicine Arsenic album. This is indicated for people with difficulty in breathing and restlessness during the anxiety episode. Their anxiety worsens at night.
Feeling anxious about little things, anxiety about the future, and others are the keynote symptoms of this remedy. Ars. alb. is indicated in people who feel anxiety about their health. These people have a fear of disease and fear they will catch an infection. The fear goes to such an intense state that they believe that their death is nearing.
Fear of financial loss and poverty is another factor that can cause anxiety in Ars. alb. constitution.
Argentum nitricum (Arg-n.)
Common name: Nitrate of silver
Argentum nitricum is a very good homeopathic medicine for anticipatory anxiety. Anticipatory anxiety is anxiety due to constant thoughts about events that might happen in the future. Anxiety might get triggered before a public meeting or a family function.
Arg. nit. treats diarrhea that sets in due to anxiety. Other indications of Arg. nit. include impatience, hurriedness, and weakness in the lower limbs. The person constantly walks to avoid anxiety thoughts until all body strength is lost. Arg. nit. is the best homeopathic remedy for fear of heights and high buildings.
Kalium phosphoricum (Kali-p.)
Common name: Phosphate of potassium
Kalium phosphoricum is one of the best homeopathic medicines for anxiety, nervousness, and fear. This homeopathic medicine is suited to people who fear crowds, open spaces, being alone, and death.
Anxiety triggered by slight noises can be treated effectively by Kali. phos. This remedy is effective for sleeplessness and restlessness due to anxiety. Feeling tired and fatigued all the time is the characteristic indication of Kali. phos.
Gelsemium sempervirens (Gels.)
Common name: Yellow jasmine
Gelsemium is one of the best homeopathic medicines for anxiety related to public appearance. This remedy treats excessive anxiety and nervousness with great prostration. The anxiety worsens when they go out and engage with different people. Gelsemium is a great choice of remedy for stage fright.
These people feel sleepy throughout the day. Other indications of this remedy include melancholy, confusion, sadness, irritability, and diarrhea.
Causes of anxiety
Like other types of mental illness, anxiety disorders can be distressing. As people believe, character defects, personal weaknesses, or issues with upbringing do not cause anxiety. The specific cause of anxiety problems is still not known. However, some variable factors may include:
Prolonged stress can alter the chemical equilibrium that controls your mood. You may develop an anxiety disorder if you are under constant stress for an extended time.
Anxiety is more likely to develop in those who have had negative life experiences. It includes
- Domestic violence
- Child abuse
- Loss of a loved one
- Relationships or friendship separation
- Financial instability
- Stress at work
Role of genetics
Anxiety disorders frequently run in families. Like your eye color, you can inherit it from one or both parents.
Symptoms of anxiety
There are different types of anxiety disorders which have their own set of symptoms.
Generalized anxiety disorder
Symptoms include intense anxiety along with stress and worry over seemingly little matters.
Social anxiety disorder
Symptoms include extreme self-consciousness, feeling ashamed in public settings and social situations, worried about being criticized in social settings, and fear of being judged by society.
It is characterized by sudden intense fear, acute panic attacks, palpitations, chest discomfort, shortness of breath, and profuse perspiration.
Separation anxiety disorder
In this condition, stress and anxiety occur after a person experiences separation from a loved one. Symptoms include a constant fear that something would happen to loved ones, nightmares, fear of losing loved ones, and over possessiveness.
Depending on the type of your anxiety, your symptoms will differ. Some general symptoms of an anxiety disorder are mentioned below.
- Cold and sweaty hands
- Numbness in extremities
- Tingling sensation in hands and feet
- Chest discomfort
- Breathing distress
- Dryness in mouth
- Muscle tension
- Panic attacks
- Constant fear
- Feeling uneasy
- Repeated thoughts
- Flashbacks of past trauma
- Uncontrollable thoughts
- Obsessive thoughts
- Unable to stay calm
- Acting edgy for silly matters
- Ritualistic behavior
- Repetitive actions
- Sleep troubles
Treatment for anxiety
Your doctor will tailor a treatment strategy suitable for your anxiety. This can include both medicine and counseling.
- Anti-anxiety medications
Your anxiety, fear, and worry reduces with anti-anxiety medications. These give quick relief but your body can get used to them. As a result, they gradually become less effective.
Anxiety disorders can benefit from antidepressants. These medicines alter how your brain uses specific chemicals to boost mood and lessen stress.
The common blood pressure medication beta-blockers can help lessen some physical signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders. They can reduce trembling, shivering, and rapid heartbeat.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
The most popular kind of psychotherapy for anxiety problems is cognitive behavioral therapy. CBT for anxiety helps you to recognize the mental processes and actions that lead to a chain of unsettling emotions.
- Exposure therapy
Exposure therapy aims to address the underlying fear that triggers the anxiety. It enables you to engage in activities that you might have been avoiding. Doctors also recommend guided visualization relaxation techniques and exposure therapy for better outcomes.
Diet and lifestyle modifications for anxiety
Along with homeopathic medicines, lifestyle changes and dietary adjustments can help you reduce anxiety. Here are some of the best lifestyle modifications that can benefit you:
- Reduce consumption of sugar, high-fat food, and processed food.
- Reduce intake of caffeine and alcoholic beverages.
- Incorporate some exercise into your routine. Your mood and health improvements can be seen even with a 15-minute exercise.
- Sleep for 7 to 8 hours each day. This will keep you relaxed and energized all day long.
To sum up, anxiety is a common mental health disorder these days. That doesn’t mean that you can ignore it and make it worse.
Homeopathy has effective medications that can help you live a healthy life. All you need is patience and perseverance throughout the treatment process. Homeopathy dives deep into the issue’s root and aims to free you from anxiety.
- Thelancet.com. [cited 2023 Oct 6]. Available from: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanpsy/article/PIIS2215-0366(19)30475-4/fulltext#:~:text=In%202017%2C%20197%C2%B73%20million,%C2%B79
- Mariotti A. The effects of chronic stress on health: new insights into the molecular mechanisms of brain–body communication. Future Sci OA [Internet]. 2015 [cited 2023 Oct 6];1(3). Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.4155/fso.15.21
- Casline EP, Ginsburg GS, Piacentini J, Compton S, Kendall P. Negative life events as predictors of anxiety outcomes: An examination of event type. Res Child Adolesc Psychopathol [Internet]. 2021 [cited 2023 Oct 6];49(1):91–102. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10802-020-00711-x
- Morris-Rosendahl DJ. Are there anxious genes? Dialogues Clin Neurosci [Internet]. 2002 [cited 2023 Oct 6];4(3):251–60. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.31887/dcns.2002.4.3/dmrosendahl
- Bandelow B, Michaelis S, Wedekind D. Treatment of anxiety disorders. Dialogues Clin Neurosci [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2023 Oct 6];19(2):93–107. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.31887/dcns.2017.19.2/bbandelow
- Andrade C, Rao NK. How antidepressant drugs act: A primer on neuroplasticity as the eventual mediator of antidepressant efficacy. Indian J Psychiatry [Internet]. 2010 [cited 2023 Oct 6];52(4):378. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/0019-5545.74318
- Hayes PE, Schulz SC. Beta-blockers in anxiety disorders. J Affect Disord [Internet]. 1987 [cited 2023 Oct 6];13(2):119–30. Available from: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/2890677/
- Curtiss JE, Levine DS, Ander I, Baker AW. Cognitive-behavioral treatments for anxiety and stress-related disorders. Focus (Am Psychiatr Publ) [Internet]. 2021 [cited 2023 Oct 6];19(2):184–9. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1176/appi.focus.20200045
- Aucoin M, LaChance L, Naidoo U, Remy D, Shekdar T, Sayar N, et al. Diet and anxiety: A scoping review. Nutrients [Internet]. 2021 [cited 2023 Oct 6];13(12):4418. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.3390/nu13124418
- Basso JC, Suzuki WA. The effects of acute exercise on mood, cognition, neurophysiology, and neurochemical pathways: A review. Brain Plast [Internet]. 2017 [cited 2023 Oct 6];2(2):127–52. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.3233/bpl-160040
- Scott AJ, Webb TL, Martyn-St James M, Rowse G, Weich S. Improving sleep quality leads to better mental health: A meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. Sleep Med Rev [Internet]. 2021 [cited 2023 Oct 6];60(101556):101556. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.smrv.2021.101556
- Researchgate.net. [cited 2023 Oct 6]. Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351851386_Efficacy_of_Aconite_and_Ignatia_as_an_anxiolytic-_In_vivo_study
- Zepeda-Quiroz N, Luna-Reséndiz R, Soto-Sánchez J. Efficacy of individualized homeopathy in treatment-resistant depression. Cureus [Internet]. 2021 [cited 2023 Oct 6];13(10). Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.7759/cureus.18444
- Bellavite P, Magnani P, Zanolin E, Conforti A. Homeopathic doses of Gelsemium sempervirens improve the behavior of mice in response to novel environments. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med [Internet]. 2011 [cited 2023 Oct 6];2011:1–10. Available from: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/ecam/nep139