A sebaceous cyst is a closed sac under the skin filled with a cheese-like or oily, semi-solid material called sebum. Sebum is produced by sebaceous glands of the epidermis. A foul odor is also often present in the substance called keratin which fills sebaceous cysts. Keratin is a protein that creates the sac of cells called sebaceous cysts. The bumps or lumps that can feel under the skin are actually the sac of cells.
Sebaceous cyst arises due to the blockage of the sebaceous gland. It occurs anywhere in the body except sole and palm.
• Blocked sebaceous glands.
• Swollen hair follicles.
• Excessive testosterone production.
• Skin trauma.
• Hereditary causes of sebaceous cysts include Gardner’s syndrome, and basal cell nevus syndrome.
Small lumps or bumps that occur just under the skin of the vagina, genitalia, breast, abdomen, face, neck, or elsewhere on the body are the most common symptom of sebaceous cysts.
• Usually painless.
• Pain if infected.
• Increased temperature of the skin over the bumps or lumps.
• Greyish white, cheesy, foul smelling material draining from the bump or lump.
• Mild to severe pruritus, with scrotal lesions.
• Single or multiple nodules.
• Slowly increasing in size.
• Dome shaped.
• Well defined.
• Flesh coloured.
• Firm, malleable (elastic).
• Movable, but attached to skin by remains of duct of sebaceous gland.
• Size: 0.5-5 cm. in diameter.
• Central pore which represents opening of follicle.
• Opening is marked by dark punctum.
• Contains cheesy whitish material.
• Sebaceous cysts are usually easily diagnosed clinically. In some cases, a biopsy may be necessary to rule out other conditions with a similar appearance.
• These cysts may occasionally become infected and form painful abscesses.
• The cysts may return after they are surgically removed.
• Puncture & expression of contents.
• If recurrence, excision of cyst including sac.
HOMOEOPATHIC TREATMENT of Sebacious Cysts
• Baryta carb.
• Heper sulph.
• Kali hydr.
Dr. Manish Bhatia
BHMS, BCA, M.Sc. Homeopathy (UCLAN, UK), CICH (IACH, Greece)
Dr. Manish Bhatia is the Founder Director of Hpathy.com, world’s leading homeopathy portal, serving homeopathy to more than half a million people every month. He is also Editor of Homeopathy for Everyone.
He runs a consultation office at Jaipur (Asha Homeopathy) and is one of the most well known Indian homeopaths globally. He has been practicing since 2001 and is helping Autism and other psychiatric patients since 2006. He was awarded Rajasthan’s foremost Raja Pajvan Dev Award For Excellence in the field of Medicine in 2015.
He has been working as an Asso. Professor of Organon of Medicine at S. K. Homeopathic Medical College since 2002. He was awarded with the prestigious APJ Abdul Kalam State Level Teacher’s Award in 2016. He has also given seminars and webinars in several countries of Europe, Americas and Australia.
He is the author of Lectures on Organon of Medicine Vol. I & II (English, Bulgarian, German editions), which are approved by the Central Council of Homeopathy (India) for BHMS and MD (Hom) syllabus. He is a contributing author to the book “Homeopathy and Mental Health Care: Integrative Practice, Principles and Research” and co-editor of “The Fireside Book of Homeopathy Tales.”